- Pain nurses have undergone specialized training in pain care and assist in physician-ordered pain treatment.
- This term covers all areas in the care and support of patients of any age who are severely and incurably ill or dying.
- Paradoxical embolism describes blockage of a systemic artery by a clot (thrombus) originating in a systemic vein through a defect in the wall separating the chambers of the heart.
- Parenteral nutrition is a type of artificial nutrition bypassing the gastrointestinal tract by administering the nutrients to the patient intravenously (via the veins).
Patent Ductus arteriosus
- The ductus arteriosus connects the aorta with the pulmonary artery. While this connection ensures the blood circulation in the unborn, it usually closes shortly after birth…
patent Foramen ovale
- The foramen ovale is an oval opening in the wall separating the left and right upper chambers of the heart. In the unborn child the cardiac septum is not closed completely…
- Pediatrics is the branch of medicine concerned with the development and disorders, as well as their treatment and prevention, of infants, children and adolescents.
- Percutaneous means “performed through the skin”. (Latin: "per" - through & "cutis" - skin)
- Pleural effusion is an abnormal (pathological) collection of serous fluid in the pleural space between the linings of the rib cage and lungs (pleura). It may be caused by different disorders…
- Postnatal means “after birth” and refers to the newborn.
- Prophylaxis (Greek for prevention) encompasses all measures designed to prevent a disorder.